Thursday, March 29, 2007

my little sister sleeps on the porch
(while we all sit inside, loving her)

Florida is a little blonde shoe
at the foot of her bed

while the antennas drown in sound
I kiss her dirtyblonde hair--

--pray protect her from the sound in my head--
pray protect, from the whistling also blonde

boys in the street
who whip one another with thin

shredded pieces of truck tires.
Then in the haze

between stations of light, the air;
the sweet air turns brunette

and all the crumbled systems go to war.

4 comments:

SarahJane said...

enjoyed this, luke. thanks.

LukeBuckham said...

Sarah!

Cool. I was hoping somebody would notice that poem. I have a rather large soft spot for it, probably because I have a soft spot for my lil' sister, Rachel (she of the dirtyblonde hair).

I'll soon be sending some copies of my new book, 'Two 2nd Thirsty Madelines', to you in Germany. It is wild and childish book, and I hope that YOU will have a soft spot for IT.

blessings:

Luke

SarahJane said...

i AM sure.
i have to say I saw the second line as "we all sit inside her" first glance. love the end.

LukeBuckham said...

Dear Sarah--

Thanks for loving the end. I like it, too; the abruptness of it is a truth.

I have just sent three (3) copies of my new opus to you in Germany, as I promised. Enjoy.

Luke