Saturday, April 27, 2024

NO AVATAR

These things are in my presage, and myself
Am part of them and know not; but in dreams
The gods are heavy on me, and all the fates
Shed fire across my eyelids mixed with night,
And burn me blind...

                                   -- Swinburne

Just as once I pecked at my
Promethean liver
and now I leave it alone
some day I will stop using these teeth
to scar my lips of sage
and sharpen them to bite the cord of time
just as I am the hermaphrodite
who remains in spirit and refuses
to manifest in flesh
so the saints of death make eternal war
on the demons of life

just as my father's name was Michael
and mine is Lucifer
Satan is getting tired of
the philistine archangel's knee on his neck
so I will rise bearded like bees on honey
to uppercut the clean shaven angel
toward his artificial heaven
and forged from fire rise from hell again

just as witches don't control the weather
and the pious pray
their prayers of impotent frustration
so I come like incense with the ax
that is my singing friend
in a cone of upside down light
I watch butterflies with plastic eyes
I rewire the hot bronze mystery
and collage around the core
of the symbols that are never at rest

I am the ass ridden by many messiahs
some think me mute but I am only eating
just as I stopped smoking
and now I rest in a photograph
of frozen fire
just as you got all the names wrong
I trick fate in many masks
to be born naked in distilled frenzy
drumming placenta and thriving in triplicate zen.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Brilliant.