Monday, December 18, 2006

After the revolution

Remember days of staring at white walls
waiting for something black to happen.
Remember a silver tangle in the dark
and the mouth that opened under it.
Remember the couch overturned
and kicking at it as if it were
the framework of the world.

Now even the birds sound discordant
and the air jagged, filtered wrongly
around their wings, seems to be pushing
its way into my mouth; I cannot draw it
peacefully into my body of guns and tobacco.
The plants are wearing men and muscles.
Ferns have little machines in each green shiver.
And you have to go sleepless for days just to make a painting
come out of the over-stretched air.

But the mustached podium man and his guards
have been dispatched into a graveless void
and it feels good to have them swimming under us,
hitting demons that we unleashed with silver saucepans,
their pants lined with egg whites.
We'll be free for a few weeks like years,
and let the presses roll.

2 comments:

About the Group said...

received copies of your mag. thanks. also thanks for the poem.

scott

www.poetry-is.blogspot.com

LukeBuckham said...

Goodgoodgood.

I've been out of touch for a while now because the libraries have been closed for the holidays (I don't have the Infinitenet at home).

Thanks for letting me know that you got my renegade envelope.

Luke